Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Moment In Time

Even the shortest of walks from the driver’s seat of 1995-1999_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Sedanyour car to the gas pump can provide you with characters that may someday populate your novel.  On a recent gray morning, the Sam’s Club gas attendant walked over to my red Civic as I waited for the tank to fill. 

He stood behind the car. “Oh, I thought it was a Cavalier.” 

“No, it’s a Civic Why, do you have a Cavalier?”

“A foreign car.”  He shook his head.  “I have a 1999 Cavalier that’s been garaged every winter.  I thought yours was a Cavalier, too.”  He walked away still shaking his head.

I didn’t have the heart to call after him that my car was made in the U.S.A. also, maybe even in Ohio.   

What incidental encounters affect you?  How can you use them?

 

 

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier by IFCAR (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment