Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year’s Fare

Something different.  Not being a renowned cook, I decided to try something simple for New Year’s Day.  I DSC_0001found some meaty almost boneless pork ribs at the store.  I had some Hungarian paprika that my Hungarian friend had given me.  I found frozen sauerkraut in the freezer.  I had caraway seeds in the refrigerator, bay leaves in the cupboard, and onions are always present at my house.  Here is my simple New Year’s fare: 

  • Wash the ribs and dry with paper towels
  • In a plastic bag, mix 1/3 c. flour, about 1/4 cup paprika, 1/2 t. salt, and pepper to your tasted.
  • Toss the ribs in the flour mixture
  • Brown in a fry pan with a little oil over medium high heat.
  • Cut the onion in thin slices
  • After the meat has browned place it in a crock pot.
  • Put the onions in the fry pan with a little more oil, if needed and sprinkle in any remaining flour mixture.
  • Cook stirring constantly until the flour begins to brown and the onions are evenly red from the paprika.  Some of the flour will stick to the bottom of the pan.
  • Add 1/2 cup white wine and stir quickly. to get the bits off the bottom of the pan then pour it all over the ribs in the crock pot.  Pour another 1/2 cup chicken (or beef) broth over.
  • Add a package or can of drained and rinsed sauerkraut, a pinch of caraway seeds, and a couple of bay leaves. 
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then enjoy.

 

I serve it with sour cream, mashed potatoes (Idahoan tastes most like real mashed potatoes), and green beans.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment